As a leader, one of the most important skills to learn is managing your team effectively. This often involves hands-on work, which is a great way to understand the strengths and weaknesses of your team.
However, one of the most important aspects of being a great leader is understanding your limits and making smart decisions about how to use your time wisely. That’s why many IT leaders opt for outsourced IT.
In the past, outsourcing IT was primarily about cutting costs. However, with today’s complex IT environments, many companies are opting for managed IT services that can offer them not only lower and consolidated costs but also access to better tools and expertise.
These enterprise IT specialists offer a fresh perspective on your projects and can help companies consolidate multiple vendors and solutions, leading to increased effectiveness and productivity for your staff.
Comparing In-House vs. Outsourced IT Project Management
Regardless of your company’s size, choosing to keep IT project management in-house or to outsource this function is an important decision. IT leaders and company stakeholders must understand the pros and cons before making the switch.
In-House IT Project Management
- Closer-knit team: When one team works together daily, they develop a shorthand that is hard to replicate. This leads to rapport that supports the continued success of the IT department.
- Better connection with company culture: Just as the rapport between the members of the IT department will grow over time, their relationship with the company will continue to improve as time goes on. This creates ongoing opportunities for collaboration that will support the company’s future growth.
- Increased cost to hire: Hiring a team of talented staff and retaining them long-term requires a sizable budget that will only increase over time.
- No available staff for one-off projects: Most companies with in-house IT departments do not have enough staff availability for short-term or one-off projects. This leads to the IT department being overworked when emergencies and other last-minute tasks inevitably arise.
Outsourced IT Project Management
- Getting up to speed takes time: Learning the details of a new project takes time, even when you’re working with experts.
- Perceived lack of control: It can be hard to outsource such a central aspect of your company’s success, especially if it’s the first time your company does it.
- A fresh perspective: Sometimes, the solution to a long-standing problem requires an outside perspective. Bringing in a fresh set of eyes offers much-needed expertise that may provide new solutions.
- Access to skilled staff and the best technology: Working with a team of specialists who are trained in the specific areas you require allows you to benefit from their expertise without hiring them as full-time staff.
How a Trusted Technology Services Provider Can Help
In addition to the pros we mentioned above, working with a trusted enterprise IT specialist like TailWind can offer benefits like:
- Enhanced security and monitoring
- Full customization capabilities
- The ability to pay for only what you need
- Total scalability that can grow with your company
- Fewer monthly bills to track
Regardless of whether you need to complete a complex network architecture project or just need day-to-day support, TailWind is here to help. We’ll be with you every step of the way from implementation to daily management and are adept at working with your in-house team to provide an experience that’s entirely customized to your needs.Want to learn more? Get in touch with the TailWind team today, or call us at (888) 868-1441.