Seeking professional assistance for your IT needs is an important step for any business. Often, this occurs because the in-house IT department needs support. When this happens, company growth and productivity can easily stall as IT simply can’t keep up.
That’s why outsourced IT services can be so beneficial. The support offered by an experienced technology service provider ensures your business has dedicated, on-call expertise in any area it’s needed.
However, there are lots of services to choose from, and it can sometimes be challenging to determine the right path forward, even once you are determined to outsource. This guide to outsourcing enterprise IT services will help you understand what’s out there and how it can benefit your business.
The Benefits of Outsourced IT
Managing enterprise IT can be time-consuming, challenging, and costly – especially for a business with multiple locations. Working with a trusted IT services provider can offer many advantages, including:
- Instant access to valuable IT experience and expertise
- Long-term cost savings from bundling services and products
- Immediate time savings
- Enhanced security, greater protection, and reduced risk
- More time available for IT employees to execute higher-value work
The Scope of Professional IT Services
There are lots of pros and cons to working with a professional IT services company. However, to thoroughly weigh these benefits and potential drawbacks, it helps to first understand the features and services offered by most technology service providers. Depending on your needs, these will vary from routine tasks to complex custom IT initiatives.
Here are some services you can expect from a professional IT services provider.
- IT Review and Consulting: This service offers instant access to a team of experts who can help point your in-house team in the right direction. The provider’s advice is often specialized, and they’re able to provide ongoing support for even the most complex projects.
- Audit and Discovery: This service helps to fill gaps in your existing IT services and identify opportunities for optimization.
- IT Architecture: Setting up your IT architecture with an expert provides a solid foundation, making it easier to connect your business and safeguard future growth.
- Staging and Configuration: Expert IT consultants can help by receiving your equipment, setting it up, then configuring and testing all system components in a customer-simulated environment. Then, they ship it back to you ready to use – saving you both time and effort.
- Engineering and Technical Support: This service augments your in-house staff while maximizing the efficiency of your IT personnel.
- Technology Sourcing: When experts can help you research and source all technology purchases, it’s easy to ensure you get the best solution at the lowest price.
Professional IT Services vs. Managed IT Services
Within the landscape of outsourced IT, technology service providers offer a few different options. Here’s what you need to know about the differences between professional IT services and managed IT services.
Companies typically turn to managed services providers when seeking ongoing IT support. The organizations offering this service help businesses with their day-to-day IT operations and regular maintenance and support. The relationship between the in-house and external IT teams is typically close, as they work together to fulfill the client’s daily needs.
When a business hires a professional services company, they’re typically looking for assistance on a short-term project. These projects can be complex and involve many stages from planning and strategy to design, implementation, adoption, and training.
While the project may be intricate, typically the engagement does not go beyond the end of the task unless they have been asked to deliver ongoing trainings. Some projects that are popular to outsource to professional IT services companies include:
- Staging and configuration of a multi-location voice and data system
- Network optimization
- IT project management
How to Choose Between Managed IT and Professional Services
Choosing between managed IT and professional services can be challenging, especially if your company has never worked with an enterprise IT partner before. Finding the right service all depends on your situation.
Have one or two issues causing a disruption? Professional IT services can help you get back on track by providing short-term support and working with you to develop a custom solution to your problem.
However, if you are seeking a long-term collaboration with an IT project manager, you should opt for managed IT services. This ongoing support and monitoring can help ensure your IT needs are being met and are developing in a way that supports future productivity, growth, and accessibility.
Have Questions? Ask an IT Services Provider
Finding the right solution to your IT needs isn’t always straightforward. The best way to figure out what your business needs is to consult an experienced technology services provider like TailWind.
We’ve been a trusted partner to companies looking for both managed IT and professional services over the past 17 years. Our team can offer in-depth expertise in areas of IT including network management, connectivity, enterprise IT, and so much more. Let us evaluate your needs and help you determine the best services to support future growth and productivity.
Have questions? Get in touch today to learn more about our services or to book a consultation.